No motive behind circular on student participation in CJP, Left parties’ protests: Tamil Nadu Higher Education Minister

Higher Education Minister P. Viswanathan. File
| Photo Credit: M. Srinath
Tamil Nadu Higher Education Minister P. Viswanathan on Thursday (August 20, 2026) told the Assembly that the State government had no ulterior motive in sending a circular to college principals in connection with the student protests.
He was referring to a recent directive issued by the Higher Education Department, citing Chief Secretary M. Sai Kumar’s diktat, which had sought coordinated action to prevent students from participating in protests organised by the Left parties and the Cockroach Janta Party (CJP). The order was withdrawn following an outrage.
Replying to CPI members T. Ramachandran and Marimuthu in the Assembly, Mr. Viswanathan said the objective of the circular was to “ensure discipline and peace” on college campuses.
“The government has no plans to control the rights of students and youth. This government respects the genuine rights of students,” he said.
The Minister said the Higher Education Department had sent the circular to the Commissioner of College Education on August 17 regarding the need to maintain discipline and peace in colleges during Statewide protests. Subsequently, the Directorate sent a circular to all college principals asking them to submit a report by August 20.
“When it was noticed that some words referring to certain political parties and organisations had been wrongly included in the circular, it was immediately withdrawn,” he said.
Action against tahsildar
Earlier, Revenue Minister K.A. Sengottaiyan said action was being initiated against the tahsildar of Guziliamparai in Dindigul district, who had directed revenue officials to collect details of members of the Communist Party of India (CPI) and the Communist Party of India (Marxist) (CPI(M)).
He said the tahsildar had been sent from the headquarters for a survey and had unnecessarily written to revenue officials directing them to collect details of members of the Communist parties.
“It was brought to my notice by 8.30 p.m. on August 18, and he was immediately relieved of his post. We are taking action against him,” he said.
Published – August 20, 2026 01:07 pm IST
Source: www.thehindu.com
